Explore your creative passion and learn how to turn your drawings and designs into a printed fabrics or other exciting printed products. Build your own range of textile designs which you can sell to other designers or create your own product ranges from your print designs! As a surface designer you can use your print designs to create anything from wallpaper, scarves, cushions, gift cards, wrapping paper, towels, clothing, handbags, shoes, floor rugs, bed linen and more.
The course runs 1 day per week over 35 weeks
Please note that term dates are subject to change, please contact us to confirm future dates if required.
Core Units: 4
Elective Units: 8
Explore your creative passion and learn how to turn your drawings and designs into printed fabrics or other exciting printed products. Build your own range of textile designs which you can sell to other designers or create your own product ranges from your print designs! As a surface designer, you can use your print designs to create anything from wallpaper, scarves, cushions, gift cards, wrapping paper, towels, clothing, handbags, shoes, floor rugs, bed linen, and more.
Take your hand-drawn designs and learn how to manipulate them on the computer to create various styles, design variations, and colorways and turn them into repeat prints. Realize your print designs into real printed fabric samples.
This course is suitable for both mature learners as well as high school students to complete as part of the VET in Schools program. Whether you are a fashion designer or interior designer wanting to learn how to develop your own unique fashion & furnishing prints, looking at starting your own textile or print design-based business or just wanting to explore your creative passion, this course will be exciting, challenging and rewarding.
- In order to successfully complete this course, students should expect to complete some work in their own time. This will include undertaking library and internet research, completing projects, and practicing the skills covered by the course.
- Colour Theory
- Elements and Principles of Design
- Creating colourways
- Design conceptulisation
- Portfolio development
- Drawing skills
- Graphic arts skills using Photoshop and Illustrator
- Textiles theory
- Understanding of the different printing methods that can be used
- Surface design career opportunities
- History and culture of surface design
To enrol in this course you must complete the online enrolment form. If you are unable to access or open this link, please phone us on (07) 55 938 335 to have one posted to you.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
Do you have 2 or more years industry relevant experience? Have your experience recognized and increase your employment prospects by applying for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Through RPL you could reduce the duration of your studies. RPL is assessed on a case by case basis, so it is only available upon application.
*Students will be charged an administration fee of $200 per unit of competency.
On successful completion of the course, students will receive the nationally recognised CUA31120 – Certificate III in Visual Arts
This course is suitable for high school students to complete as part of the ‘VET in Schools’ program. The course has been structured so that the finish date is in accordance with the VET reporting dates to the Qld Studies Authority to allow students in Year 12 to have this course contribute to their high school certificate.
Students who are going in to year 10, 11 or 12 and are interested in completing this course, should contact us to receive the course enrolment pack. We recommend that they then visit their school careers councilor or VET coordinator to discuss their interest in undertaking the course with them, prior to enrolling.
As this is a certificate III program, successful completion of this course will enable students to obtain 8 points towards their senior certificate.
- Student ID ($25)
- A Laptop Computer with the required software is required for this course – see detailed requirements below
- Adobe Creative Cloud (student version – $17.99 a month – assistance will be given with signing up)
- Printing & photocopying by students.
- Basic stationery
- Keyboard & Mouse
- Visual Diary – A3 or A4
- USB Thumb Drive (2GB recommended minimum)
- Equipment Kit ($55 + $18/month for cloud services)
- Students accepted into the program will be required to have a laptop computer with a wireless network connection. The following minimum specifications are required:
- Wireless 802.11a/b/g/n
- Minimum 4Gb RAM
- 2.5Ghz or faster processor
- Web Browser (i.e. Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari) (free online)
- Anti Virus – Students will not be allowed to connect to our network without Anti Virus software installed and activated.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (free online)
- Microsoft Office 2007 or higher (require Word, Excel, and Powerpoint)
* Please check software manufacturers minimum system requirements. Student pricing available.
Upon enrolling in the course, the student (and guarantor/s) becomes liable to the institute for the full course fees.
IF YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE CERTIFICATE 3 GUARANTEE FUNDING:
Payment plans and finance options are available.
Study Loans is Australia’s first dedicated private student loan provider. They offer highly competitive rates, allowing you to borrow all or part of the cost through a responsible funding method. You simply pay-as-you-go with simple terms & conditions.
|BSBWHS211||Contribute to the health and safety of self and others|
|CUAACD311||Produce drawings to communicate ideas|
|CUAPPR311||Produce creative work|
|CUARES301||Apply knowledge of history and theory to own arts practice|
|BSBDES201||Follow a design process|
|BSBDES301||Explore the use of colour|
|CUAACD312||Produce computer-aided drawings|
|CUADIG315||Produce digital images|
|CUADES302||Explore and apply the creative design process to 2D forms|
|MSTGN2013||Identify fibres, fabrics and textiles used in the TCF industry|
|BSBESB301||Investigate business opportunities|
|BSBTWK201||Work effectively with others|